As the African proverb goes, “it takes a village to raise a child.” Young single mothers have become a significant part of society, and Project Row Houses believes that it is our community’s role to provide support for these women as they pursue education and fulfilling careers. The Young Mothers Residential Program (YMRP) at Project Row Houses provides housing and counseling on personal growth and parenting skills, allowing these mothers to raise their children in a creative, nurturing community. YMRP offers up to two years of subsidized housing in one of seven refurbished, fully furnished row houses that recall the way communities used to be – when neighbors knew each other and gave a helping hand when needed. Our ultimate goal is to support our mothers and their children in reaching their highest potentials.
To be eligible for YMRP, applicants must:
- Be a low-income, single mother between the ages of 18 and 26.
- Have physical custody of at least one (1) of their children under the age of 17.
- Have all children enrolled and regularly attending a public/private school and daycare classes to qualify.
- Be willing to be employed either part-time or full-time.
- Have income documented by independent sources such as Social Security, pay stubs, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Food Stamps award letters.
- Be pursuing their education either in a two- or four-year college or university and/or accredited training program.
- Be in good academic standing and maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Honor YMRP commitments, including weekly meetings, programs and volunteer opportunities that support a year-long focus on self, family, and community growth.
- Be willing to interview with the YMRP Committee members and program staff.
- Project Row Houses cannot accept women who are pregnant or suffering from mental illness or drug/alcohol addiction into YMRP.
Apply to YMRP
Applicants should fill out the following form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
YMRP APPLICATION (DOCX)
Once an applicant has completed the interview process, she will be contacted via phone or email concerning the status of her application. An Occupancy Fee is required for all participants. This fee ranges between $75 and $250 per month, determined on a sliding scale basis, based on the participant’s income. This fee covers the usage of the facility and utilities. The fee is revisited on a quarterly basis during the participant’s stay in the program.
Deadrol Y. Land
Terena S. Molo
Valerie Cassel Oliver
Rahquia "KiKi" Carey
Please contact PRH at 713.526.7662 or via email at email@example.com if you are interested in serving on the YMRP Advisory Committee.